I don't know how they messed up, for some reason the linesman could hear the TMO but the ref couldn't
Why on earth did the linesman not just put the flag up, but the real problem is that the ref on the field has the final say and the TMO can only advise. We seen this happen both ways where the TMO calls something and the ref over rules them or the ref sending all calls to the TMO. In some instance like foot in touch they were quick to respond and said it was confirmed by the TMO with out review.
But the main culprit was the time wasting, between a shoulder to head took over a minute with another scrum being called and the on field ref missing it completely. Where as the graze of Ethan hooker was picked up.
I think the refs lost confidence and then couldn't see all of the incidents happening around the field.
I think Aus imploded with the pressure, but the ref also imploded because the game was moving really fast and SA cranked it up.
All cards were valid except one where the wing was blown up.
My view is, don't send the player of, just give 3 points or a penalty try more frequently, if they player was in the process of scoring and you cut off an clear and obvious try, then blow a penalty try, keep the player on the field, but for serious foul play, card should be called.
Like the number 9 that was completely off side at the beginning when crappies had the ball dislodged.
It was a circus and world rugby want to speed up the game but don't have the ref or number of refs that can handle the pace. I almost feel you need two refs on the field like they have in NFL or at least put some lasers on the field to show the offside line to the players.
But to be honest, reffing has been a real mess for the past few seasons. I think the URC games were blown more cleanly over the weekend.
How many players puts their hands on the ground and then just flop over the ball, come from the side etc. This I really hate. I would just say instead on penalising, if the attacking teams rucking cause the players to be chest to the body of the tackled player or laying flat on the ground then just call ruck over. Players should be able to put their hands on the ground, but the need to maintain a minimum height, they are not allowed to ruck, neither are players allowed to fly into the ruck as that is dangerous. They need to sort this out ASAP